I have an Infocus IN72 projector that I have been very happy with, in my old apartment I mounted my screen made of Do-Able board to the wall using industrial velcro and was happy. When I left my apartment, the industrial velcro removed the paint and a pretty substantial paper layer from the drywall.
Since I now own the walls I will be mounting the screen to I decided to figure out a more visually appealing option that would not create so much damage if removed.
My screen is 65” by 37” and my new house has a similar sized area, so I am keeping the Do-Able board as it is already cut. I decided to add a frame to the screen to make it match the living room better. Having discovered the DoAble board on AVSForum, I decided to see if anyone else there had built a frame for their board. Quite a few people have built frames for their board, but all of the pictures I found used felt to wrap the material and butted the corners together. I wanted to use a dark brown matte paint for the frame and miter the corners.
Here are the materials I bought at the ace hardware down the street:
- 3 1/4 8’ Hardwood boards
- 1” Corner Join pieces (these handy deals pull the mitered corners together for a good fit)
- 5/8 wood screws
- 4 18” hangman picture hangers (these came from Lowe’s)
- Glaziers Points
- Mitre Box and saw
After routing out the inside of the frame for the do-able board, I used wood glue and the corner join pieces to put the whole thing together. If your screen is large, you are going to need a big area for this to sit for at least a day while it drys.
Upon reflection, I think Part of the reason that there were not any mitered corners in any of the projects listed at AVSForum is because building a large frame with mitered corners is hard!! In order to get clean corners, the entire frame must be assembled at the same time, and the size of the frame makes each corner pretty fragile. I did have to use a little wood filler to take up a corner that did not quite fit properly.
Yesterday I was in a conference room at Microsoft where they had a projection area, and the border was thin metal covered in felt, while it did darken the small areas of light leakage, it was only slightly less noticible then the matte brown paint.
Here is the finished frame:
Here is a corner: