Building the Ciclop 3d Scanner Part 2 Printing Huge Parts on my Little Printrbot
I have been working on printing a Ciclop 3D Scanner entirely using my Printrbot Simple Metal despite several of the pieces being to large for my bed. Reading forums and searching thingiverse I found most of the files I needed to print the Ciclop on my Simple. I also modified a couple of files so that I could print all the parts on my Printrbot.
I only printed four parts from the original BQ Ciclop model, for the rest of the parts I had to use a file modified either to fit on my bed or to remove the support that was added to the stl files.
For the motor holder I exported a new stl file without the custom support added and then printed the file with grid support added by Cura the motor holder would fit on my simple metal, but I did not like the support that was added to the STL file.
I printed a reduced size disc holder that fits on the 152MM X 152MM Printrbot bed and a two piece version of the camera mount. I cut the motor wireway in the middle so that it fit on my print bed and printed two.
The only part that failed to print was the back cover. I tried printing it both standing up and with support and it was just too thin. I found a file in a forum that I used to print a very nice and sturdy back cover.
All of the PLA parts were printed at 0.1MM layer height, 60-80MM Speed with 30% infill @ 210 degrees Celsius.
You can find all the models I used below:
|Pattern Holder||5 Hours||Ciclop 3D Scanner|
|Shaft Coupler||1 Hour||Ciclop 3D Scanner|
|Laser Holders||1.5 Hour||Ciclop 3D Scanner|
|Laser Wireways||1.5 Hour||Ciclop 3D Scanner|
|Bearing Holder||7 Hours||Reduced size disc holder and bearing clip|
|Bearing Clips||2 Hours||Reduced size disc holder and bearing clip|
|Motor Holder||17 Hours||Motor Holder without Support|
|Camera Holder Bottom||8 Hours||Two Piece Camera Mount|
|Camera Holder Top||14.5 Hours||Two Piece Camera Mount|
|Camera Holder Cover||2 Hours||Thicker Back Cover|
|Motor Wireway||1 Hour||Half Motor Wireway|
|Total Print Time||61.5 Hours|
The motor holder is the single longest print I have ever done, it took a total of 17 hours, but I think it turned out great. The Adafruit stepper motor fits perfectly and matches the motor specs on the DIWO site so that makes sourcing a motor much easier and faster than having to order it from Aliexpress.
The Alloy 910 shaft coupler fits perfectly into the bearing holder connection, and the huge 1014 bearing fits snugly on the motor holder.
I would definitely recommend getting a spool of filament just for this project. I wound up using ~800 grams of filament printing the parts. I am really pleased with the results and am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my lasers!